Those close to the family say a Crookston woman
Someone close to the family posted a Facebook update for friends, family and community members. The post reads, in part:
Tragedy struck a northern valley family on Monday. A Crookston husband and wife are dead and two of their daughters have been treated for apparent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Dead are: 49-year old Kent Ostgaard and his 51-year old wife Natalie. Natalie Ostgaard was a former reporter for the Crookston Times newspaper.
Their 22-year old daughter Aryanna was taken to Altru hospital in Grand Forks and later air-lifted to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. No further information is available yet, regarding her condition, but we do know today was Aryanna’s 22nd birthday. A17-year old, Gabi Ostgaard, was treated and released from Riverview Hospital in Crookston. A third daughter was away from home, attending college in Duluth.
It was the deceased couple’s 17-year old daughter who called 9-1-1.
James Tadman, Polk Co. Chief Deputy: “At 7:49 today’s date, the Polk County Sheriff’s Department received the 911 call from the residence, from a 17-year old juvenile advising of carbon monoxide poisoning. There were 4 people inside the residence. Kent Ostgaard, age 49 and Natalie Ostgaard age 51 were pronounced dead at the scene.”
They were clearly having furnace trouble at this home. The deceased mother, posted this on Facebook on Tuesday. It says quote: “Well, we had to order the part for the furnace and it won’t be here until tomorrow. Thanks everyone who offered the use of their heaters. We managed to make do with fireplaces, electric stove, blankets and the two heaters we have. Hoping this will be adequate until furnace is fixed.” –unquote.
James Tadman, Polk Co. Chief Deputy: “That’s what we’re investigating. At the time we arrived at the residence there was low propane in the tank and the furnace was not running at that time.”
Tadman says there were no other gas operated portable heaters in the home that could have been responsible for producing carbon monoxide. The case remains under investigation.
Chief Deputy Jim Tadman says this case is a tragic reminder that everyone should have carbon monoxide detectors in their homes. It’s an odorless gas that simply puts its victims to sleep.