Nine people hospitalized after carbon monoxide leak at Knoxville Sam’s Club, states KFD

1st May 2024, Knoxville TN – The Knoxville Fire Department’s HAZMAT crew responded to a carbon monoxide leak at a Sam’s Club in East Knoxville Tuesday morning, according to KFD Assistant Chief Mark Wilbanks.


The response was prompted by a call reporting that people in the store were feeling nauseous, Wilbanks said, which is a sign of carbon monoxide poisoning. He added that when crews arrived, management told them that an air conditioning unit on the roof had recently been worked on.

The carbon monoxide leak appeared to be due to a fault with an air conditioning unit on the roof, which had recently been worked on. Read More…

Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless toxic gas. In the United States alone, the CDC states that every year carbon monoxide poisoning not linked to fires leads over one hundred thousand Americans going to the emergency room, with around 15,000 being hospitalized and more than 400 deaths.

Generators, car engines, air conditioning systems, boilers, ovens and other equipment where combustion takes place can cause carbon monoxide exposure when used incorrectly and/or in the wrong environment, or if it is not properly maintained.

Please see our simple safety advice on how to protect yourself and your loved ones from the very real dangers of carbon monoxide.

Or, click here and complete our short contact form if you or someone you know has suffered carbon monoxide poisoning and need advice on whether you may have grounds to claim compensation from those responsible.