More than 60 affected by Carbon Monoxide Leak at Microtel Inn, Gassaway, West Virginia

.27 May 2024: Gassaway, West Virginia – More than 60 people were sent to the hospital after suffering the effects of a possible carbon monoxide leak at a West Virginia hotel, according to local officials and media reports. The reported carbon monoxide leak occurred early Sunday morning at Microtel Inn & Suites, owned by Wyndham Hotels and Resorts, in Gassaway, West Virginia.

The inn’s occupants were evacuated and evaluated, with dozens of people being transported to Braxton Memorial Hospital for potential carbon monoxide poisoning. While there were no reported deaths as of Sunday night, local media reported that several people were in critical condition. Read More…

Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless toxic gas. In the United States alone, the CDC states that every year carbon monoxide poisoning not linked to fires leads over one hundred thousand Americans going to the emergency room, with around 15,000 being hospitalized and more than 400 deaths.

Generators, car engines, air conditioning systems, boilers, ovens and other equipment where combustion takes place can cause carbon monoxide exposure when used incorrectly and/or in the wrong environment, or if it is not properly maintained.

Please see our simple safety advice on how to protect yourself and your loved ones from the very real dangers of carbon monoxide.

Or, click here and complete our short contact form if you or someone you know has suffered carbon monoxide poisoning and need advice on whether you may have grounds to claim compensation from those responsible.