Over 20 Hospitalized in Bridgeport CT with Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

10 June 2024, Bridgeport CT – Bridgeport fire officials say over 20 people in Bridgeport were hospitalized early Saturday after experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms. A Bridgeport resident called 911 after feeling sick.

Officials said a recent bus fire near the home on Oak Street caused the power in the building to be shut down for several days, prompting the use of the generator. They’re reminding residents that generators should never be used in enclosed spaces.

The levels of carbon monoxide were found to be 2,100 parts per million, according to officials.

Fire officials reported that 21 residents were taken to St. Vincent’s Hospital and Bridgeport Hospital for assessment.

Bridgeport Fire Chief Lance Edwards stated that if the exposure had lasted for up to an hour, the result would have been catastrophic. “Come to find out, we had about 2,100 per million CO found in the building. Anywhere around 800 or more at about 20 minutes exposed to that, you start to experience flu-like symptoms,” said Edwards.

Officials said 10 of the 21 individuals taken to the hospital were cleared to return home by Saturday afternoon.

Bridgeport Fire Inspector Robert Lopez warns people of the odorless threat of carbon monoxide poisoning. “You don’t smell it, you can’t taste it, it’s odorless, colorless. If you’re sleeping and that room got filled, you’re just not going to wake up,” he said.

“There were no carbon monoxide detectors in the building, which can be fatal, and it very well could have been fatal if no one called during the night,” said Lopez.

Combo smoke and CO detectors have now been installed in the building. The city’s fire department provides free combo smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to all Bridgeport residents. To have them installed call the Bridgeport Fire Department at 203-335-8835. Read more…


Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless toxic gas. In the United States alone, the CDC states that every year carbon monoxide poisoning not linked to fires leads over one hundred thousand Americans going to the emergency room, with around 15,000 being hospitalized and more than 400 deaths.

Generators, car engines, air conditioning systems, boilers, ovens and other equipment where combustion takes place can cause carbon monoxide exposure when used incorrectly and/or in the wrong environment, or if it is not properly maintained.

Please see our simple safety advice on how to protect yourself and your loved ones from the very real dangers of carbon monoxide.

Or, click here and complete our short contact form if you or someone you know has suffered carbon monoxide poisoning and need advice on whether you may have grounds to claim compensation from those responsible.