Kansas Mom And 2 Young Sons Die Of Suspected Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In Camper

USA Today News – 19th September 2023 A pregnant mother and her two young sons were found dead of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning on Saturday 16th September in a camper at a motocross event in Kansas, according to law enforcement and multiple reports.

The McPherson County Sherriff’s Office, which is leading the investigation into their deaths, has released a statement but has not officially named the victims. Read More…

Kansas mom and 2 young sons die of suspected carbon momxide poisoning

What is carbon monoxide poisoning?

Because it is both odorless and colorless, carbon monoxide is commonly referred to as a silent killer. More than 400 American die each year from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning not linked to fire, while more than 100,000 visit emergency rooms for treatment, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The lethal gas is found in the fumes produced by the burning fuel of vehicles and other engines, as well as gas stoves, lanterns and furnaces, the CDC says. In vehicles, carbon monoxide poisoning is often caused by leaks in the exhaust system.

The poisonous fumes can quickly build up to fatal levels indoors, poisoning people and animals who breathe it in, according to the CDC. Symptoms often appear flu-like in nature and include headaches, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, chest pain and confusion.