Fatalities from carbon monoxide poisoning in multi-occupancy building averted thanks to carbon monoxide detector

Hamilton building evacuated due to Carbon Monoxide incident

Carbon Monoxide incident in Hamilton New JerseyThe potential life-threatening dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning in a multi-occupancy building became all too apparent in Hamilton yesterday.
Elderly residents of a senior apartments building in Hamilton were urgently evacuated by firefighters when a carbon monoxide alarm alerted emergency services to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide in the multi-occupancy apartments.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless toxic gas that is impossible to detect without the appropriate installation of carbon monoxide detectors in bedrooms and general living areas. Elderly people are particularly vulnerable to CO poisoning because they are more likely to be suffering from an underlying condition which might mask the symptoms of CO poisoning. In addition, breathing low levels of CO might cause those with anemia to feel extra fatigued or trigger chest pain in people with chronic heart disease.
In multi-occupancy buildings with elderly residents, it is especially important to take steps to eliminate the risks of CO poisoning. This can be done by making sure any fuel-burning appliances in the building are regularly checked and serviced and CO detectors are placed in all bedrooms and shared living spaces. For further information and advice on all matters relating to carbon monoxide poisoning and its prevention, please get in touch. We have access to medical, legal and technical experts who can provide general or specific advice.
Thankfully no residents were injured during this incident but, had no carbon monoxide alarms been fitted, it might well have been a very different story.