September 18 is Carbon Monoxide Awareness Day in Tennessee

Thursday, September 16, 2021

NASHVILLE – In honor of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Day, which is recognized every year on September 18, the Tennessee Department of Commerce & Insurance (TDCI) and the Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office are sharing carbon monoxide safety messages to help save lives and reduce risks.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas created when natural fuels burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel such as barbecue grills, fireplaces and fuel-powered heaters are potential CO sources. Campers and RV owners will frequently use generators when spending time outdoors. After severe storms and natural disasters, generators are also frequently used to provide power in the event that a home’s electrical system or power supply has been damaged or destroyed.

“Carbon monoxide can pose a health hazard to anyone, no matter the amount of carbon monoxide or the person who is exposed to CO,” said TDCI Assistant Commissioner for Fire Prevention Gary Farley. “When using any fuel-burning equipment that might create carbon monoxide, Tennesseans can avoid a tragedy by always using caution and never using a gas generator inside your home, garage, carport, basement, crawlspace or outside near a window, door or vent.” Read More…