3 found dead in Nahant, MA, due to carbon monoxide poisoning

Boston Globe, 9th January 2024 – Authorities say carbon monoxide poisoning apparently caused the deaths of three relatives found inside a single-family home in Nahant, MA on Monday evening.

“While the investigation remains active and ongoing, Nahant firefighters found elevated levels of carbon monoxide inside the home, and foul play is not suspected at this time,” the town’s police and fire chiefs said in a joint statement.

According to State Fire Marshal Jon M. Davine’s office, firefighters in Massachusetts detected carbon monoxide 5,022 times during on-site investigations in 2022, slightly above the 10-year average of 4,750. About half the hazards were detected between December and February, when home heating systems are in regular use, according to Davine’s office.

The leading source of carbon monoxide in the home is malfunctioning heating systems, and 90 percent of carbon monoxide investigations are conducted at residential properties, the State Fire Marshal’s office said.

The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention uses just 13 words to summarize carbon monoxide. “Carbon monoxide, or CO, is an odorless, colorless gas that can kill you,” according to the agency’s website.

“Each year, unintentional CO poisoning not linked to fires leads to more than 100,000 Americans going to the emergency room, over 14,000 are hospitalized and more than 400 dead.” according to the CDC. Read More…