CNN: CDC warns of carbon monoxide poisoning during hurricane season
Ahead of Hurricane Delta the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned doctors and clinics to watch for instances of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.
Research shows that people often turn on gas-powered generators, charcoal or gas grills, and propane devices when the power goes out after a storm hits.
These can generate carbon monoxide, an invisible, odorless and lethal gas. “If used or placed improperly, these sources can lead to carbon monoxide (CO) build up inside buildings, garages, or campers and poison the people and animals inside,” the CDC said in a warning this week
At least nine deaths tied to Hurricane Laura in Louisiana last month were from carbon monoxide poisoning, health officials said.
“These devices should never be used inside an enclosed space, home, basement, garage, or camper — or even outside near an open window or window air conditioner,” the CDC said. Read more…
Leave a Reply