An adult and a child were taken to Holy Name Medical Center after firefighters found high levels of carbon monoxide in their Irvington Road home Sunday night, officials said.
A carbon monoxide detector had gone off about 45 minutes before someone in the house called 911 at 7:14 p.m., officials said. At the scene, Teaneck firefighters found high levels of carbon monoxide and traced it to a broken furnace.
The Teaneck Volunteer Ambulance Corps transported the adult and child to the hospital after finding carbon monoxide levels in their bodies, said Fire Department Battalion Chief Thomas Smith. Their conditions were not immediately available.
Four other people inside declined medical attention and planned to stay with a nearby relative, Smith said. Firefighters used fans to ventilate the house and Public Service Electric & Gas was called to repair the furnace.